Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Lady Mary


I'm afraid I'm too busy to muster up much, but, speaking of Downton Abbey, this photo of Lady Mary Crawley, played by Michelle Dockery, is worth a great deal of study. Also, Lady Mary looking rather butch with top hat and intensity. And Lady Mary with a teacup full of quiet desperation. If you can spare 3 minutes, you should watch this video of Lady Mary — it has a sound track of Juice Newton's Angel of the Morning, which, honestly, makes it very special.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

A delayed thanks to you for including that link to the video. Fine viewing on a grey February day. Also fine viewing in this terriffic show, is the (relatively?) non-botoxed, gorgeous Maggie Smith.

I'm sure the Gazetteer recalls Dame Maggie in that iconic non-lesbian lesbian role as Miss Jean Brodie. Further evidence, as if any were needed, that we (or traces of us) are everywere.

Annie B said...

OMG, you've been writing this blog since 2008 and I just found it? I found it accidentally, too, while Googling for clues about the identity of a recipient of an Oscar for sound last night who reportedly kissed her wife. (Not true, I don't think, just a shout-out.)
Anyway, I dropped everything and started reading backwards from today. Got as far as June 2010 and realized that I had to stop and get back to work, but oh what a morning! Your writing is fantastic, and I believe we are in the same cohort, having both come out during the Reagan years. See you, but I'll be back.

Sapphist Gazetteer said...

Annie B, thank you! Made my day.

Breezy said...

Great entry about one of my favorite shows this year!