Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Is this the real life? It's a boorish fantasy.

There are other lesbian websites providing extended witty recaps of the first episode of Season Two of "The Real L Word," which aired on Showtime last Sunday night. But I will strive for brevity. In the spirit of Dorothy Parker, I could just say, "I fwowed up." But I will elaborate. The show is terrible. Just terrible. It makes LA lesbians look grimy and inarticulate. Their behavior is boorish and depressing. As one writer at Autostraddle advises: "Watch this show like it’s a mockumentary and it’s actually really fucking funny." Indeed, I never thought I would say this, but Season One was better. I did not realize how good we had it with Tracy & Stamie and Jill & Nikki. At least those women seemed like reasonably educated people who practiced basic courtesy and hygiene. Okay, you could say, hey, don't watch the show if you don't like it. True. But, as I said at one particularly low point during the viewing at our house, "I feel like I'm monitoring this show rather than watching it." And that is because Ilene Chaiken is an important contributor to lesbian culture. Whether or not you like "The L Word" and its offspring, "The Real L Word," you must admit that whatever she does will make a significant contribution to how the world sees us and how we see ourselves.

No comments: